I have experienced chronic joint and muscle pain since I was about 16. Arthritis runs strongly in my husband’s family, so he also deals with pain issues. We’ve both taken our fair share of pain killers such as tylenol, ibuprofen, and aleve. But the more I learned about the dangers and side effects of taking excess pain killers, the more I wanted to find a better pain remedies. Pain can be alleviated with essential oils and other natural remedies, without the dangerous side effects.
Please note, I am not a doctor and this article is intended for informational purposes only.Can you treat pain without over the counter or prescription drugs?Click To Tweet
Essential Oils for Pain
Essential oils have many uses for health. Several can help alleviate pain. My favorite brand is Now. They produce high quality oils without the high price tag of other brands. You can find them here.
- Lavender oil definitely tops this list. Its anti-inflammatory properties can relieve body aches. Mix a few drops with coconut oil and massage into the affected area. It’s great for headaches, too! Using lavender oil in a diffuser or warm bath can also help you sleep!
- Peppermint oil relaxes muscles in the lower back, reduces tension headaches and even pain caused by fibromyalgia. Peppermint oil should definitely be mixed with a carrier oil before applying to the skin; otherwise it could burn.
- Ginger oil is effective in treating pain caused by autoimmune conditions including rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, and lupus. It can be used topically or inhaled. Ginger oil has been found to have no adverse side effects even when used for extended periods of time.
- Lemongrass oil relieves aches and pains. It has anti inflammatory properties and improves blood circulation, relieving muscle spasms, back aches, sprains, and cramps. Try rubbing diluted lemongrass oil on your body or use it in a foot soak along with epsom salt.
Other Pain Remedies
- The curcumins in turmeric are anti inflammatory and can be purchased in capsule form to manage pain. It should also include black pepper, as it has properties that help the body absorb more of the curcumin rather than having most of it flushed from the body by the liver. I prefer to purchase organic powdered turmeric and add it to our eggs along with black pepper.
- Arnica is a lesser known pain remedy but it works wonders. It’s used topically and reduces pain from insect bites, bruises, and even arthritis. It’s also great for pain caused by carpal tunnel. For some, the arnica helps enough that they were able to avoid surgery. It can be purchased as a gel or cream and used directly on the skin.
- The old stand-by of a hot bath with epsom salts is great for relaxing sore muscles. You can even add in any of the essential oils mentioned earlier for increased pain relief and relaxation.
Homemade Pain Remedies
Try these homemade remedies to manage your pain:
- Muscle Rub from Dr. Axe
- Aunt Flo’s Soothing Salve from The Hippy Homemaker
- I like to mix lemongrass oil with my favorite lotion to use as a pain relief rub.
What natural remedies help you with pain? Let me know in the comments below! Then read more natural health remedies: