It’s hard to eat healthy, especially when it comes to snack time. Convenience foods are easily available and, well, convenient. But the added sodium, chemicals, preservatives, food dyes, and artificial sweeteners are anything but good for you. Not to mention that the super unhealthy foods are generally more expensive than healthier choices.
Another effect of eating junk food is that you start to crave it. I personally have an awful sweet tooth. So what healthier snacks should you reach for if you’re craving a specific type of junk food? Hopefully this list will help the next time you’re tempted to reach for something you know isn’t good for you.
When You Crave a Sweet Snack
What if you have a sweet tooth? Sugar cravings can be hard to beat. Instead of reaching for candy or cake, try these:
- Fruit, fresh or frozen
- Dark chocolate (in moderation, it has many health benefits, though you can still overdo it if you’re not careful)
- Frozen bananas (even better if you mash them up in the food processor until they’re the consistency of ice cream)
- A yogurt parfait made with Greek yogurt
- Smoothie made from your favorite fresh fruit
- Graham crackers or apples with peanut butter
When Your Favorite Snack is Something Salty
If you lean towards chips or french fries at snack time, try these:
- Mixed nuts
- Trail mix
- Baked sweet potato fries
- Air-popped popcorn (minus the salt and butter)
- Hummus and carrots
- Avocado with cottage cheese
- Sliced bell pepper
Snack on Something Chewy
What if you like something on the chewy side? Try these:
- These amazing Loaded Breakfast Bars (they’re also a great breakfast on the go)
- Raisins or dried cranberries
- Beef jerky
- Fruit leather (make your own or be sure it has no added sugar)
A couple more ideas to make sure your snacks are healthy:
- Take snacks to work or school with you so you’re not tempted to hit up the vending machines.
- If you prefer to make your own snacks, prepare them for a week in advance to save extra work during the week.
- Mix it up so you don’t get bored with the same snack all the time.
What are your favorite snacks and how do you be sure to make healthier eating choices? Let me know in the comments below! Then read more: