I love the fresh, clean scent of citrus. Something about any citrus oil, but especially lemon oil, perks me right up. So how is lemon oil extracted, why is it so beneficial, and how can you use it around your home? Keep reading!
What Is Lemon Essential Oil?
Most lemon oil and other citrus oils are extracted by cold pressing. The rind is placed in a container with spikes that puncture the peel while the device is rotated. The puncturing releases the essential oil, which is then collected below the container. Often centrifugal force is used to separate the essential oil from the fruit juice.
Benefits of Lemon Oil
Lemon oil is beneficial for the following:
- Cleans and disinfects
- Natural antiseptic
- Boosts immunity
- Improves oral health
- Treats bad breath
- Aids digestion
- Quenches thirst
- Relieves cough
- Calms stomach and relieves nausea
- Improves digestion
- Good for the skin
- Improves mood
- Freshens laundry
- Whitens teeth
- Removes grease and goo
- Polish wood and silver
How to Use Lemon Oil
- Add a few drops in your washer to freshen laundry.
- Make a paste with lemon oil, baking soda, and coconut oil to whiten teeth. Use carefully though, as overuse of baking soda can damage your gums.
- Put a few drops of lemon oil your soap to fight grease and even the goo from stickers or gum.
- Add 40 drops lemon essential oil, 20 drops tea tree essential oil, and a little white vinegar to a 16-oz spray bottle and top off with pure water for a disinfecting cleanser that packs a powerful punch.
- Mix with baking soda and honey for a natural acne free face wash. This will improve your complexion and soften your skin.
- Soak a soft cloth in lemon oil to clean tarnished silver or polish wood furniture.
- Diffuse with other citrus oils to lift your mood, fight depression, improve concentration, and reduce stress and anxiety.
- Mix with coconut oil and rub on your neck for a quick immune boost. This is a great way to fight a cold fast.
- Add 2-3 drops to your water. This freshens breath, supports the kidneys, calms an upset stomach, and helps to detox your body. There is some controversy over ingesting essential oils, so use with care. Your oils should be labelled for internal use.
- Add a few drops of lemon oil to your shampoo to reduce greasiness in your hair.
- Clean and disinfect small wounds by mixing lemon and coconut oil.
- Mix 24 drops with 1 cup of water and add to a spray bottle to make your own non toxic air freshener.
Let me know how you use lemon oil around the house in the comments below, and then read more about the uses for essential oils: