Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended. While clicking these links won't cost you any extra money, they will help us keep this site up and running. Thank you for your support!
It’s hard to believe that my husband and I will be married for 5 years this week! That’s a major accomplishment. We’ve been through a lot together, and we’ve learned a lot about how to make it work through good times and bad. One thing that keeps us close and in sync is having a regular date night, a special time we can spend together with no distractions. Sometimes this is hard to do when life gets busy. But we’ve found that when we don’t make this time together, we end up out of sync.
As my readers know, we live on a tight budget. And we are in a very rural part of northeastern Arizona. Our little town is 90 miles from the nearest Wal-Mart and one hour from the nearest movie theater. We used to go to the movies at least once a week before moving here, so this was definitely an adjustment. Now we have to get creative when it comes to date night-finding ideas that work in a rural area and don’t break the bank.
The key here is to find something you both enjoy and think outside the box. Read this list of inexpensive date night ideas and get inspired!
10 Frugal Date Night Ideas
- Cook a meal together. We have discovered many new dishes this way. This will definitely save some money over eating out (and where we live there are very few options for eating out. Plus I eat gluten free, so eating out is a challenge anyway.) My husband especially loves this one if we grill together. Then we eat outside and enjoy the evening. Check out our latest grill creation, grilled seafood packets, here.
- Make some popcorn and watch a movie together, or start a new show on Netflix. This is an idea that is mentioned often, but it’s worth noting. Take turns picking what to watch, and you might be surprised to discover something new to enjoy. I know my husband has picked a few things I didn’t think I would even like, but ended up loving!
- Pack some snacks or even a picnic meal, grab some blankets and pillows, and head out to where there are no lights so you can watch the night sky and really talk with no distractions.
- Find a nearby hiking trail and enjoy the scenery together. Be safe and take plenty of water, especially on a hot day.
- Work on a DIY, hobby, or craft project together. This is a great way to practice working as a team and maybe you will find something new to enjoy. We built our grill out of a 55 gallon drum (I’ll post about that later.) And now we can grill together!
- Go for a walk. We have a beautiful area just below our house with a wash that is almost always running and is very green that we like to walk. Hold hands while you walk.
- Play a board game, card game, or video game. We are highly competitive, so this is a fun one for us. This is another great way to discover something new to enjoy. We like Monopoly and Uno, just to name a couple of favorites.
- Start a collection. It can be something small or big. As mentioned above, we love Monopoly, so we have a small collection of novelty Monopoly boards. There are many things you can collect, such as stamps, rocks you collect on your walks, coins, bottle caps, Star Wars memorabilia (something else we collect), comic books, buttons, guitar picks, key chains, magnets, Pez dispensers, the list is endless.
- Get a couple of Nerf guns, make some targets, and have a contest. A basic Nerf gun and a package of foam darts is pretty inexpensive. I surprised my husband with this idea one date night and he loved it! The whole thing cost less than $25. Again, this is great for competitive couples and didn’t break the bank. Alternatively, the weather allowing, you could use water guns and turn it into a water fight.
- Make some props with colored paper and have a fun photo shoot. You can also use fun hats or scarves and dress up. Check out my Pinterest board here for ideas. Then make an album or scrapbook with the photos, either digital or paper.
What other date night ideas do you recommend? Let me know in the comments below!
Also check out one more Pinterest board full of great date night ideas.