I think I’ve hit a bit of writer’s block lately. I have learned a lot about natural living in the last few years and I want to share it all. If I can help anyone to live a better life with what I have learned, then I have achieved my goal. I think my problem is that I feel like I have a lot to share and don’t know where to start. So for something different, I thought I would share a little more about myself and my family. And maybe you will feel like you know a bit more about me!20 Facts About JLyn: get to know me!Click To Tweet
20 Facts About Me
- I grew up with one brother, 5 years younger than me.
- I have been married for 5 years.
- My husband and I have 12 animals-5 dogs, 5 cats, 1 rooster and 1 chicken. It’s a lot of work and sometimes it feels like we live in a zoo. But most of them are rescues and it’s worth it. Bonus fact: We built our chicken coop almost entirely out of pallets and scrap materials. I’ll share more on that in another post.
- We live on the Navajo reservation in northeastern Arizona, about 1 1/2 hours from Four Corners. It’s a rural area but we live 20 minutes from Spider Rock and the scenery is gorgeous! I took this picture behind our house.
- We are trying to learn the Navajo language. Learning a language is tough, and after 3 years we are still just beginners. But we keep trying!
- My favorite TV show is I Love Lucy. I never get tired of watching it.
- I am a bookworm but don’t have nearly enough time to read. My favorite book is To Kill a Mockingbird, and I love the movie with Gregory Peck.
- I have only been blogging for a month and feel completely overwhelmed with everything left to learn.
- I have been treated for depression but was able to wean myself off of antidepressants and treat it naturally. The side effects of the drugs were not pleasant and I do much better without them.
- Classic movies are the best! I love Audrey Hepburn, Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant, Doris Day, James Stewart, Spencer Tracy, Gregory Peck, Myrna Loy, and Alfred Hitchcock.
- I’m a total homebody. I could be perfectly happy staying home with my pets, my books, my crafts, and Netflix.
- I have 2 fashion modes-tomboy and complete girly girl. I’m most comfortable in jeans and tshirts. But every once in a while I like to go all out and put on a fancy dress, do my hair and makeup, and actually wear heels.
- I hate going to doctors and taking prescription medication. I prefer to learn as much as possible and treat myself and my family naturally, with vitamins, herbs, and essential oils.
- When I was 3 years old, I needed stitches in my eyelid. I’d jumped out of my dad’s truck with a stick in my hand and nearly poked my own eye out. I had to see a plastic surgeon to get the stitches out.
- I love to cook, and make almost all of our food from scratch. I’m constantly searching Google for new recipes to try.
- Our wedding song was “Storybook Love” from the Princess Bride.
- We are huge sci-fi fans. My husband and I love both Star Wars and Star Trek, Doctor Who, Firefly, and The Twilight Zone, just to name a few.
- We still own a VCR and almost 400 VHS tapes. We’re trying to convert to disc or digital but it’s a slow process and some of them are hard to find.
- I eat gluten free and limit my dairy intake to minimize fatigue issues. It isn’t easy on a budget, but I make it work by cooking from scratch as much as possible. (See #15)
- I used to be an elementary school librarian for grades K-5. I resigned after almost 6 years. In all honesty, I was getting burned out. Sometimes I miss my students, but I had to take care of myself.
Is there anything else you would like to know about me? Let me know in the comments below! Then read more: